Residential Home & Day Centre
Devereux House Farnborough & Cove Memorial Trust
Farnborough & Cove War Memorial Hospital Trust was originally a country house, purchased after the First World War as a memorial to the men of Cove, Farnborough and South Hawley who lost their lives. The Hospital was opened by Earl Haig in 1921 and ran on voluntary support until 1948 when the National Health Service was started. The building continued to be the focus of medical attention for the town until 1974, when it was closed once Frimley Park was fully operational.
Because of the strength of feeling about the building, the Farnborough & Cove War Memorial Hospital Trust was set up in 1975 to try to get the site used for a purpose as near the original one as possible. In 1976 the Borough Council bought the whole site from the Regional Health Authority and asked the Trust to re-commission it. After a great deal of hard work the Day Care Centre started in three rooms on the ground floor. As money became available the Day Centre spread through the ground floor and the facilities were renovated and updated so that it can now accommodate some 100 elderly and handicapped during the week. After the death of the first Chairman, Lt. Col. R de B Devereux, the whole house was named after him.